Whole or Term Life Insurance
In 1962, the Phoenix Candy Company released the Now and Later bar. Each bar of candy included several individually wrapped taffy squares. The idea was consumers could eat some taffy right away and save the remainder for another time in the future. Now and Later bars satisfy both your current and future needs to satisfy your sugar craving.
What does this have to do with life insurance?
Financial planning requires us to consider our needs both today and for the future. When it comes to life insurance, making the wrong decision now can have adverse financial impacts down the road. Understanding your options before you purchase a life insurance policy will help you make a sound decision.
Term life insurance policies provide protection for a fixed number of years. Policies are most often issued in 5, 10, 20, and 30-year terms. The majority of term insurance policies maintain a level death benefit and premium throughout the duration of the term.
Term life insurance is the cheapest form of coverage and is ideal for protecting dependents from the burden of debt and lost income if you were to pass away. The length of coverage purchased should end when your dependents’ reliance on your income has disappeared. This is usually at the end of a mortgage, children’s college graduation, or retirement date.
Whole Life Insurance
Whereas a term insurance is temporary coverage, whole life insurance is a form of permanent life insurance. The death benefit of a whole life insurance policy is guaranteed for as long as you live along with your premium, so long as you continue making premium payments on time.
While whole life insurance is more expensive than term insurance, over time a whole life policy will build cash value. Cash value can be used to loan against (you pay yourself the interest) or cash out at a later date if you wish to surrender the policy. Whole life insurance can provide needed funds for burial expenses, to replace lost retirement income for your spouse, or to make a charitable contribution.
Choosing a Policy Every family’s financial needs and goals are different. Choosing the best life insurance policy will depend on who is dependent on you today – will there be anyone dependent on you in the future, and are there any charitable wishes you seek to fulfill. But most importantly, life insurance should never be about you… but for those you may leave behind.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- Peoria's Best Health Insurance Agency 2021
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Benefits of Dental Insurance