How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
It does not matter if you earn income from a side hustle or as a full-time freelancer. If you are not working for a company that provides health insurance, you are on your own to obtain coverage.
Health insurance for freelancers is not any different than the coverage available for those requiring their own plan. However, the type of coverage you may require should fit your personal health needs. There are seven common ways to get health insurance if you’re a freelancer.
COBRA – This acronym for the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act allows former employees to continue their employer’s coverage for a limited time. Former employees may be required to pay up to 102% of the plan’s cost and must be offered by companies with at least 20 employees. COBRA can act as a bridge while you search for better or more affordable coverage.
Spouse / Partner / Parent Plans – You may be able to join your spouse or domestic partner’s health insurance plan. Similarly, if you are a student, you may still qualify for your parent’s plan up until the age of 26. The cost to join one of these plans range from $0 to 100% of the actual premium.
Affordable Care Act – Individual health insurance can be purchased through a marketplace created by the ACA, also known as Obamacare. An open enrollment period runs from November 1 to December 15 every year. You may also be eligible other times of the year if you have a qualifying event such as marriage, divorce, job loss, or birth of a child.
Freelancers Union – Specifically for bona fide freelancers, the Freelancers Union offers affordable plans with various benefit levels. However, plans are not available in all areas and like the ACA, you may only enroll during their enrollment period or after a qualifying event.
State Medicaid – For individuals or families whose income does not exceed 133% of the Federal poverty level, Medicaid coverage should be available. For freelancers just starting out and who cannot afford other options, Medicaid may work as a steppingstone until your income level increases.
Short-Term Insurance – With limited benefits, higher deductibles, but lower premiums, short-term insurance can work well as a stop gap when income may be too high for Medicaid but where other insurance options are not yet affordable.
Private Market Insurance – There is always the private market insurance marketplace where coverage may be purchased at any time. Freelancers with specific health insurance needs not offered under other options or who may have missed enrollment eligibility periods may find a solution within the broader private insurance market.
Finding health insurance as a freelancer can be a daunting task. Plus the cost of getting it wrong can be significant. With so many options available, it is important to do your homework. As licensed, independent insurance agents, we are here to guide you through the process. Reach out to us – we will help you identify your coverage needs and point you in the right direction at no cost to you. Whatever you do, don’t delay in exploring your options and finding the right coverage for you.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- Peoria's Best Health Insurance Agency 2021
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Benefits of Dental Insurance