Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
As the old saying goes, the only two certainties in life are death and taxes. However, needing long-term care services isn’t too far behind, considering almost three out of four individuals will require care after the age of 65.
The statistics related to long-term care are eye opening to say the least:
- 70% of Americans will need long-term care
- 15%-25% of Americans over 65 are uninsurable
- Average monthly cost for long-term care is $7,698
- Average American will pay $172,000 for long-term care
- 20% of Americans will need long-term care for more than 5 years
When putting these figures in perspective, it might seem logical everybody needs a long-term care plan. However, there are a couple caveats to consider before purchasing a plan.
For starters, there are two groups that likely do not need a long-term care plan. The first group includes individuals who would qualify for Medicaid, which pays for most long-term care services. However, the income threshold to qualify for Medicaid is extremely low. In 2022, income must not exceed 133% of the Federal Policy Level, or $18,075 for individuals or $24,352 for couples.
The next group of individuals not likely to need a long-term policy is those with high, liquid net worth. Opinions vary on how much savings you should have before considering buying a long-term care policy, but usually such a conversation can begin around the $1.5 million mark.
Most Americans fall in between these two income extremes. If you find yourself a part of this group, then yes… you need a long-term care plan. But this doesn’t mean going out and purchasing a long-term care policy just yet.
A long-term plan is just that, a plan. And long-term care insurance may or may not become a part of it. Before purchasing coverage, it is important to evaluate several factors including your family’s financial capacity to pay for various long-term care services. Additionally, you may want to consider the medical and care needs of older family members as a guide in helping to determine the likelihood of needing care.
If it is determined that financially your family will financially suffer if you or your spouse will require long-term care, it is time to review your insurance options. As a relatively young insurance product, long-term care policies are continuously evolving. Indemnity, reimbursement, and hybrid policies are all very common.
Long-term care insurance is one of the most complicated insurance policies on the market today. For a comprehensive evaluation of your potential long-term care needs, and the options available to you, contact my office today.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- Peoria's Best Health Insurance Agency 2021
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Benefits of Dental Insurance