What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
Almost 70% of Americans aged 65 or older will require long-term care. This type of care includes non-medical services such as bathing, dressing, eating, and mobility. However, the cost of long-term care (LTC) insurance has been rising by double digits year after year, putting the coverage out of reach for many individuals.
We offer six potential options to help mitigate the cost of care if you haven’t purchased a long-term care insurance policy, are unable to qualify for coverage, or are seeking alternative solutions:
Short-Term Care Insurance: Also known as convalescent care, short-term care policies provide coverage for one year or less. Because insurance companies have a shorter commitment, premiums are substantially lower than traditional long-term care policies with fewer qualifying requirements.
Critical Illness Insurance: Critical care and critical illness policies will pay a lump-sum benefit to insureds diagnosed with serious illnesses such as cancer, stroke, or heart attack. Some insurance companies offer daily or monthly inpatient rehabilitation and continuing care benefits.
Annuity Products: By providing a guaranteed stream of income, long-term care annuities offer special provisions to help pay the cost of care. A lump sum of money is usually required to invest in these annuities, and the income derived from them may still fall short of what is needed. However, annuities may be purchased regardless of your health.
Life Insurance Benefits: Some permanent life insurance policies, including whole and universal life, come equipped with accelerated benefits riders. These endorsements allow insureds access to the death benefit proceeds. While every company’s policy language will vary, it is common for accelerated benefits riders to trigger if the insured is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Hybrid Insurance: A disadvantage of traditional LTC insurance is that premiums are paid, whether or not benefits are used. A hybrid life and long-term care policy provide a lump sum payment for LTC expenses. Yet, your beneficiaries will receive a death benefit if you do not spend all the money earmarked for care.
Medicaid Services: The government program will pay for long-term care services under certain financial circumstances. To qualify, your income must be limited with combined assets of less than $2,000 as an individual or $3,000 for a married couple.
Depending on the care you require, long-term care services vary dramatically, costing as low as $50 a day to more than $250. This is why it is important to review your financial health before committing to an LTC policy or alternate solution. To learn more about your options, contact my office today. Together we can build a plan that’s right for you and your budget.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- Peoria's Best Health Insurance Agency 2021
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Benefits of Dental Insurance