3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
The weather is warming up across the country. This marks planting season for many farmers and it can for you too! Even if you do not have a green thumb, there are a number of vegetables anyone grow right in their backyard – no matter where you live.
Sown into the ground or a container, root vegetables are normally easy to grow, especially carrots and radishes. They do need a little bit of room to grow, however. This means having containers at least the size of a 5-gallon bucket. Dirt and compost will serve as proper soil with fertilizer recommended once a month.
As seedlings begin to sprout, you will need to thin out any clusters. This ensures each plant has enough space to fully develop. Knowing when to harvest root vegetables is the same regardless of the type. When the tops get large, green, and bushy it is a sign to pull a couple out to test the size. If they look fully grown, it’s time to harvest.
Lettuce, spinach, kale, oh my! It may surprise you, but leafy vegetables are hardy plants that are easy to grow. Most leafy vegetables enjoy cooler temperatures and can even handle a little bit of frost. This means their growing season can be longer than other vegetables and in some areas be grown year-round.
For as large as they grow, growing leafy vegetables does not require much room. Containers are simply fine and can even be tucked under taller plants to save space. And since leafy veggies grow so fast, you do not need to plant a whole lot. Instead, plant as many as you may want to consume every couple weeks and you will be enjoying fresh salads all season long.
Tomatoes are a vegetable… and a fruit. Botanically, being a ripened flower ovary with seeds makes tomatoes a fruit. But nutritionally, vegetables are used to indicate plant parts that are not exceedingly high in fructose. Regardless of their classification, homegrown tomatoes are prized in the summertime.
There are a variety of tomatoes to choose from Beefsteaks to cherry and most are simple to grow. Some varieties like the Cherry Cascade can be grown in a hanging basket on your patio. Others can climb wire rods to provide tomatoes for months while others happily grow on top of the soil.
Growing your own vegetables is a fantastic way to boost the flavor of your favorite dishes. Whether you choose to grow one vegetable or an entire salad bowls worth of variety, one thing is for certain – you’ll think twice about going back to grocery store produce!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- Peoria's Best Health Insurance Agency 2021
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Benefits of Dental Insurance