Benefits of Dental Insurance
A person’s smile is usually one of their most memorable features. To have a bright, vibrant set of pearly white teeth requires proper oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist. But more than one third of individuals haven’t seen the tooth doctor in more than a year.
Prevention is Paramount
Most dental insurance plans promote regular visitations and preventative services. If you visit your dentist regularly, the savings on preventative services may be enough to cover your premiums.
In general, the following preventative services are covered in full or with a small co-pay:
- Fluoride treatments
Plans do vary widely. Take time to weigh the cash price of preventative services against the insurance premiums. Look for plans where the premiums are the same or lower than if you were to pay out of pocket.
Help Paying for Big Ticket Services
The cost of visiting a dentist is the most common reason people skip in their annual check-up. The cost of preventative services may not break the bank. But many individuals are afraid of having to cough up hundreds of dollars for other procedures.
Saving on bigger ticket services is where dental insurance can really pay off. Depending on your plan, upwards of 80% of the cost may be paid for:
- Root canals
Keep in mind however, cosmetic dentistry services are typically not covered under most dental insurance plans.
Types of Dental Plans
There are three types of dental insurance plans available. Each plan has its benefits and disadvantages. Your individual needs will determine which type of plan will suit you best.
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) – You will have a small, limited network of dentists available to you in exchange for lower premiums and higher coverage amounts.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) – You may see dentists outside of the insurance company’s network and still receive coverage. Premiums are higher than an HMO while offering similar benefits.
- Indemnity Plans – You may see any dentist you like, and the plan will pay you a percentage of the costs. Lost with indemnity plans are the negotiated rates provided by HMOs and PPOs.
It is important to note that for nearly all individual plans, there will be a waiting period for most services. Enrolling in a dental insurance plan can help you stay on track with proper oral hygiene. And if you need a major service, it can significantly reduce how much you pay to maintain your sparkling smile.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn’t Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- Peoria's Best Health Insurance Agency 2021
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- Using HSAs in Your Retirement Planning
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You Can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Benefits of Dental Insurance